Re: Lucidity in the first REM period

Deepening, maintaining, primary skills, translocation and finding objects
TheOnerous
PHASER
PHASER

Lucidity in the first REM period

Post by TheOnerous »

Last night I became lucid in my first REM period. I don't remember how exactly, but I do have a vague memory of "being in the dream" and remembering to rub my hands, and scrutinise and palpate my bedroom. I know I carried out the deepening thoroughly and diligently, but the clarity of the dream didn't improve and I don't remember what I did next. I would like to know if others also find lucidity in the first REM period to lack clarity, and I would like to ask more experienced dreamers if there is a limit to how much clarity you can expect when lucidity occurs in the first REM period, or if they have found that there is a technique to make the clarity as good as lucid dreams that occur in later REM periods (especially after WBTB).
Michael Raduga
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Michael Raduga »

That's why the best time for such practice are afternoon naps or after 7-9 hours of sleeping in the night. Most phases in the nights (not all!) have low quality. Even if there is a method to make phases during nights much more perfect, I'm not sure you should lose you attention on it. Just use better chances.
Jeff
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Jeff »

I had a very long phase shortly after sleep onset only once.It was lucid,stable,bright and clear-and one of my all time favorites,although I forgot some segments of it. I had used the WILD method.I haven't been able to repeat something like this since and no unusual techniques were used-I didn't try to influence anything,I just went with the flow of events mostly...well sort of...

The experience if you're interested:
I flew around my mental old childhood neighborhood like a maniac,busting through houses and roofs just having a great time. I felt like a dog off it's leash because I had been in a dry spell for a couple weeks.Then much later these 'street thugs' appeared with baseball bats  ;D One said "hey man,you better cut that shit out.They're gonna kick you outta here!" I hovered over to him and asked "What!?" "Who's going to do that?" "How??" He just stared at me.Then I explained that I was dreaming and had a body sleeping in bed-he looked at me like I was nuts. Then I fouled.

It hasn't happened since,but I do know it is possible.If you like strictly neurophysiological explanations:Maybe I had REM rebound,but I don't know how because I had been getting sleep and I don't smoke weed or drink. I think there are also dopamine theories of dreaming that don't rely exclusively on REM states,but I might be wrong.
Last edited by Jeff on Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The closer you get to the meaning;the sooner you'll know that you're dreaming" -Dio
arqmeister
PHASER
PHASER

Post by arqmeister »

I find that if i try to phaise at the onset of sleep or even in the middle of the night for that matter, the quality is terrible. Even if i deepin it just isn't the same as morning or afternoon attempts.