My first experience

Feel free to talk about anything not related to lucid dreaming and out-of-body travel
FateTrader

My first experience

Post by FateTrader »

Greetings everyone!

I have just found this website yesterday and read the short and part of the long OBE method. I liked it because of it's simplicity. I went to bed with intention to try it but I didn't set myself an alarm clock as I was too tired after work so I thought if I wake up I will do as in the guide. I have woken up after 6 hours or so and I remembered what to do so I fallen asleep again with this thought.

Weird thing because normally I don't remember waking up so many times but not this time, I had woken up about 5 times and I remembered every single dream I had (dream diary method sucks in comparison) anyway at the third time I've woken up I was trying to imagine rubbing hands and when I done it I heard inside my head this buzzing sound a little kind of like a ringing tone it was getting louder with the rubbing
(I have to say here that about year or two ago I've experienced the same feeling for the first time, it happened on its own and lead me to a lucid dream at the time, afterwards I found out it was a symptom of getting into a trance state) so instantaneously recognizing a familiar feeling, after maybe 3 seconds when the buzzing noise was at the peak I thought about getting up and to my overwhelming surprise I felt that I am actually getting up (but my body was still laying in the bed) I made me so happy... too happy and adding outdoor noise I failed because of this distraction and I woke up. I can't believe it I am so gutted!! I hope this is not my only time I am experiencing this because it was just starting to be interesting.

Thanks for the guide it seems helpful I hope it will work for me more and this was not the only experience I had
digitalvygr

Re: My first experience

Post by digitalvygr »

Hey FateTrader, welcome! Your experience sounds very familiar to those of us who have had OBEs, you are well on your way. Dont worry if it takes a week or two or even a month. Or you may have success your very next attempt. The fact that you had a partial separation means success is just around the corner for you. Just keep doing your practice exactly according to the book as you have been and full success will be yours soon!
FateTrader

Post by FateTrader »

Thanks for encouraging words digitalvygr. I love this method it is so easy. I obviously move most of the time when I wake in my REM phases, I am working on it to remember not to :) from what I have so far noticed it is imperative not to move and not to open eyes.

I am curious, do you also hear a buzzing or ringing sound when you are on the right track to the separation? I think this is a signal I am on the way, only had this twice in my entire life so far.

Good thing now is that I do remember my dreams, before I learned "the phase" I never remembered them as I always fell straight into the next REM cycle without becoming conscious between. This morning I remember all 5 cycles, this is the best score in 25y or so :)
NOVA
PHASER
PHASER

Post by NOVA »

Of course it is. That was your experience as you described it. Perfect. Not everyone experiences the buzzing all the time. It happens differently for everyone.
FateTrader

Post by FateTrader »

It is not that easy, I thought it wouldn't be anyway. I am doing it whenever I am rested enough of work. Last week on one night I had 3 times the buzzing trance entering experience and twice I tried starting OBE but I failed. There were no distractions this time as I used earplugs. Weird thing is that one of this times when it was happening I didn't even think of it I just started doing it automatically and I became aware of it only split second after, I think it is good thing it became (at least once) an automatic thing of my subconscious, but that was just once maybe it will become a routine later.

Two failed time I tried on that occasion makes me think, that maybe I was doing it wrong, maybe I should have concentrate on the buzzing (entering trance) more until it was at its maximum before trying obe, that's my idea. Anyway the technique I used to concentrate on buzzing when I realized it was a simple soham meditation and it worked for me like a charm it started to work at least until I blew it with too early OBE trying. I gotta say that I tried soham also automatically it was like a natural thing to do for me at the time (maybe because I used it a lot in my meditation and I enjoyed it very much).

Anyway this is my quick update.
HAGART

Post by HAGART »

Long time lucid dreamer, first time caller. (This is my first post here. Yay!)

I know exactly what you're talking about and the "buzzing" in the ears can take many forms due to our hallucinatory state of mind when in that state. I've heard crickets, fans, and other strange things, but it's really quit simple. I heard (good pun) that scientifically it is explained by the fact that our inner ear, those three bones and ear drum, actually vibrate during REM sleep. When we WILD or OBE we are aware of it so it makes a buzzing drone. Like sleep paralysis, which I am seldom aware of, sometimes I'm conscious during it and it leads to great lucid dreams and OBE experiences. (I like to call OBE, out of BED experience, because it really is just like that). It can feel so real like getting out of bed in real life, but you are in a dream and if you pay close attention to your surroundings you will realize it. It doesn't hurt to do a few reality checks too because it can be so damn convincing sometimes! I love those type of lucid dreams but for the most part I get DILDs, Dream Induced Lucid Dreams.

Well, that was my first post and hope to write more and meet more people here.
HAGART

Post by HAGART »

I forgot to mention that although these transitional states can end in failure sometimes they are still fun and are stepping stones to becoming a proficient lucid dreamer.
I'll take them, win or lose.
In fact sometimes I find them more interesting than the lucid dream that follows because they can be so crazy!
FateTrader

Post by FateTrader »

HAGART wrote:I forgot to mention that although these transitional states can end in failure sometimes they are still fun and are stepping stones to becoming a proficient lucid dreamer.
I'll take them, win or lose.
In fact sometimes I find them more interesting than the lucid dream that follows because they can be so crazy!
One funny thing that happened to me once was that I was dreaming about laying in a bed and trying to concentrate on the sound in my head, then trying to start OBE only to find out moments later that I was already in a dream, unfortunately I found out about it by waking up :).

Gotta say that techniques itself are so simple and yet so hard for the beginner to do.
HAGART

Post by HAGART »

I know exactly what you mean. Whenever it happens to me it starts from a false awakening in which I'm in bed trying to sleep. Unbeknownst to me at the time I was already in the phase state and don't realize until after I wake up and put two and two together. I jokingly call them, 'false sleepenings'. I get it a lot whenever I try to stay conscious as I fall asleep and attempt the WILD method. I lose consciousness and the next thing I know I'm in what appears to be my own bedroom trying to sleep, but don't realize it has already happened!
FateTrader

Post by FateTrader »

It is good to know that I am not the only one :).

I have another question, when you are in the phase and try to deepen it with whatever method you like, does it make the experience "dream" more and more realistic, I did have a while ago a very realistic dream with all the senses and feelings more real than reality, even more than hallucination and I wonder if I could get to this stage ever again.
HAGART

Post by HAGART »

Actually I've just been winging it for the past few years, and never practiced deepening techniques. But reading about them here, they make a lot of sense. For me, so far, I just left it up to chance whether the dream would be vivid with many senses, and almost perfect rational awareness or not. Still most of my lucid dreams are DILD or Dream Induced Lucid Dreams where I figure it out after a dream has already started. They tend to be a lot more irrational and dream-like as apposed to the kind that start right from your own bed with what feels like a waking mind. (Although I don't believe I am out of body, it can truly feel that!)

I know the differences, and experienced both, but never actually practiced deepening my DILDs to turn them into something greater. When I have a OBE (what I like to call Out of BED Experience) the dream is pretty damn real without me needing to do much. But it's just random chance for me right now.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

deepen, Hagart, deepen and maintain...;-)