Plagiarism: "SSILD" taken from The Phase Guidebook

Feel free to talk about anything not related to lucid dreaming and out-of-body travel
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Plagiarism: "SSILD" taken from The Phase Guidebook

Post by Summerlander »

It has come to my attention that someone who goes by the name of Cosmic iron - author of the SSILD method - seems to have plagiarised Michael Raduga's work...

I believe the contriver of SSILD was originally from Michael Raduga's School of Out-of-body Travel. You may have come across edited and refined descriptions of the method which is undeniably familiar to anyone who has read Michael Raduga's practical guide. In the original description, however, the hybrid phenomenon of conscious dreaming was mostly called by the popular term "lucid dreaming", but, on a couple of occasions it was referred to as the "phase" or "phase state" - which, as we all know, is an umbrella term used by Raduga to ease the study of OOBEs/lucid dreaming.

It has to be said that SSILD, acronym for Senses Initiated Lucid Dream, is remarkably similar to a combination of strategies propounded in Raduga's "The Phase - A Practical Guidebook" such as the deferred indirect method and sensory-motor visualisation. Raduga had been talking about "cycling through techniques" way before SSILD came about.

Not to smear the technique itself - because it does work (I can attest to it) - but when I came across it I thought that it was either a slight refinement (or idiosyncratically processed to hide plagiarism) of a pre-existing method or it was a cleverly reworded description of one going by a different name. In fact, Raduga's pre-existing indirect as well as the direct methods do not stipulate a specific order in which techniques should be performed within the cycles as much as it does with the timing. SSILD, in a way, could be considered to be one way to execute cycles of techniques.

It is very likely that Cosmic Iron went to great lengths to get rid of the original descriptive document that he posted online but I happen to have found implicating evidence that was beyond his control. Tom from Mortal Mist has innocently copied and pasted the unedited version in one of his posts. The contriver of SSILD claims he developed the technique in 2011 but in Tom's primordial version we find the unmistakably familiar terminology:

"5. A WILD or direct OBE. Phase entrance may occur during the repetition, with your mind still awake. When this happens, many of the sensations become amplified. You should stop doing any further exercises, and begin focusing on the sensations until you successfully enter the phase."
http://mortalmist.com/forum/index.php?topic=5336.0

Cosmic iron didn't invent the technique. He plagiarised it and he's been appending to it ever since. The original idea came from Michael Raduga's independent research. This individual should be named and shamed for not lawfully including a reference to Michael Raduga. Inform anyone who has come across SSILD that it is an idea from The School of Out-of-Body Travel.
TheOnerous
PHASER
PHASER

Re: Plagiarism: "SSILD" taken from The Phase Guidebook

Post by TheOnerous »

I know a bit about both and, to be honest, my "plagiarism alarm bell" didn't ring when I learned about SSILD. Being familiar with MR's work I could see similarities and I could see how MR's work has influenced the development of SSILD, but I don't really feel that SSILD is outright plagiarism. Cosmic Iron has openly shared the technique without expecting remuneration and has been quite open about how MR's work is an influence:

http://cosmiciron.blogspot.co.uk/
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

Iron's explanation for those who suspected his method is a clone of Michael Raduga's, dated January 17th of this year, comes a little too late, don't you think? It seems like he felt the need to recently explain himself when what he really should have done was mention Raduga in the first place. Tom from Mortal Mist discovered SSILD at the beginning of last year and, moreover, its 'birth' precedes Tom's discovery by a few months if not more (according to Iron himself). I rule out coincidence because a) he has used Raduga's terminology in the original description; and b) he has recently admitted being inspired by Raduga. But the accusation comes from the fact that he has not been fully honest as he only bothered to mention the origins of SSILD upon questioning. He clearly wanted to make a name for himself as there is no mention of Raduga in his earlier posts. Was he so wrapped up in his descriptive work that he forgot to mention the author?
cosmiciron

Post by cosmiciron »

I am the author of the SSILD technique and I just stumbled upon this thread. I feel your accusation is both harsh and without ground. Let me clarify:

You largely ignored the details of the technique itself, and instead focused on the use of the word "phase". First of all, I do not see the logic behind, that using the word "phase" indicates "plagiarism". It's neither a patented phrase of Michael nor a phrase solely used by him in this context. Phasing is a term that has seen a lot of use in this field, and can be found in many earlier literatures including Monroe's. You are welcome to check out this web site too, which uses the word phase all over the place and should they be called plagiarism as well? http://www.astralpulse.com

You also seem to make a big fuss about the timing of the publication of the various documents. In this case let me give you the facts:

1. The very original document appeared in 8/23/11, written in Chinese and published at this address: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/1186611262?pid ... 3905500007. If you could read the content you will know it contains no reference whatsoever to the word phase or its equivalent in Chinese. This is because in Chinese we have terms that encompass what Michael describes as "phase" so there is no need for me to use an invented word to describe the phenomena. And yes those terms have existed for thousands of years and no one is accused of plagiarism for using them.

2. The very first English document was published on DreamViews under the title "A Practical Recipe for Inducing LDs and OBEs" on 8/28/11, and again, no reference whatsoever to the word "phase". http://www.dreamviews.com/attaining-luc ... ost1731918

I used the word phase in order to address the phenomena in a more neutral way as I tried to explain things in more details in those later documents, and it had nothing to do with the technique itself. I admit that my picking of this word was influenced by Michael, and I used it because of lack of better choices in English. In fact I was questioned why I chose this seemingly "odd" word in one of the earlier SSILD threads, and I explained it clearly where it came from and the rationale behind using it. Sorry, can't provide the link but you are more than welcome to search DV's archives.

People who have practiced both SSILD and Michael's indirect techniques know very well what the fundamental differences are. In fact, if you can't figure out the difference, then chances are you will succeed in neither. If you want to accuse me of piracy then please at least try to understand the subject, instead of playing with words. What you are saying "It is very likely that Cosmic Iron went to great lengths to get rid of the original descriptive document that he posted online..." is downright rude vilification without any ground. EVERY posts I published on DV and LD4all can be searched and I've deleted none of those, and you are welcome to search through them to see if there is any conflicting statements in them!

The birth and evolution of SSILD can be clearly traced from day one on the Chinese forum Baidu Tieba. Everything is there, in its original form, untouched from day one. If you want to make an accusation, at least do some homework!
cosmiciron

Post by cosmiciron »

Summerlander wrote:Iron's explanation for those who suspected his method is a clone of Michael Raduga's, dated January 17th of this year, comes a little too late, don't you think? It seems like he felt the need to recently explain himself when what he really should have done was mention Raduga in the first place. Tom from Mortal Mist discovered SSILD at the beginning of last year and, moreover, its 'birth' precedes Tom's discovery by a few months if not more (according to Iron himself). I rule out coincidence because a) he has used Raduga's terminology in the original description; and b) he has recently admitted being inspired by Raduga. But the accusation comes from the fact that he has not been fully honest as he only bothered to mention the origins of SSILD upon questioning. He clearly wanted to make a name for himself as there is no mention of Raduga in his earlier posts. Was he so wrapped up in his descriptive work that he forgot to mention the author?
The blog post was a copy of my answer to a DV user dated on 03-29-2012 11:51 AM in the original SSILD thread. In fact, that answer itself was a copy from an even older post on LD4all which I can't easily locate right now. It was made into a separate post on my blog because that is a question which I got asked a lot, but difficult to explain in a few sentences to be included in the Q/A section of the tutorial.

One more thing, when I said I was inspired by Raduga, I was not referring to the technique. I was referring to the use of the word "phase". Please stop misleading people!
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

I am the author of the SSILD technique and I just stumbled upon this thread. I feel your accusation is both harsh and without ground. Let me clarify:

You largely ignored the details of the technique itself, and instead focused on the use of the word "phase". First of all, I do not see the logic behind, that using the word "phase" indicates "plagiarism". It's neither a patented phrase of Michael nor a phrase solely used by him in this context. Phasing is a term that has seen a lot of use in this field, and can be found in many earlier literatures including Monroe's. You are welcome to check out this web site too, which uses the word phase all over the place and should they be called plagiarism as well? http://www.astralpulse.com
I am very familiar with The Pulse and Monroe too. I started with Monroe. But we all know that your usage of the word "phase" was different to that of Monroe or The Pulse people. The word "phasing" implies something else in their belief-centricity (in the New Age context). Furthermore, what you are suspected of doing is not the plagiarism of the word "phase" itself, but rather, Michael Raduga's methodology. The terminology you use is only an indication of such besides things like cycling that you claim are coincidental. Astonishingly, you even propound the same number of cycles!

Moreover, even if the original had first been published in Japanese, it still doesn't exempt you from blame. SSILD (and what's with the ridiculous extra "S" by the way) is merely an idiosyncratically way of performing Raduga's techniques which many here have already espoused. If anything, it is you who has been playing with words, and, apparently, in other languages, too.
The blog post was a copy of my answer to a DV user dated on 03-29-2012 11:51 AM in the original SSILD thread. In fact, that answer itself was a copy from an even older post on LD4all which I can't easily locate right now. It was made into a separate post on my blog because that is a question which I got asked a lot, but difficult to explain in a few sentences to be included in the Q/A section of the tutorial.

One more thing, when I said I was inspired by Raduga, I was not referring to the technique. I was referring to the use of the word "phase". Please stop misleading people!
Of course you can't locate it. Sure it was difficult. Of course the technique was not even remotely inspired by Raduga... just coincidental, right? and sure you were inspired by Raduga for using a word that has been in usage for "thousands of years" as you say. But you know what they say, don't you? Liars always get defensive and they slip in the end. So original, aren't you? ::)
bluremi
PHASER
PHASER

Post by bluremi »

The two techniques are quite different. The only similarity is one that is present in many different techniques aiming to do the same thing.

I think it's a bit of an overreaction, especially considering that SSILD isn't a commercial endeavor.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

The original is exactly the same. He's expounded upon it recently and merely changed the terminology. Not just the name of the method itself, but also, techniques are known as "steps" in his 'book'. He's got the cycles in place and he only felt the need to mention Raduga's influence later. I find it suspicious. He could still be trying to make a name for himself and even promote a business offline. I really don't see where it differs and why 'his' method can't be incorporated in what Raduga propounds. Even what constitutes a cycle, the number of steps, is exactly the same! Moreover, regardless of what he says, the ultimate goal and focus with every method is to reach the phase state.

The "SSILD" is like his own insignia (with the ridiculous extra "S"). He could have come up with something like PSILD (Phantom Sensations Initiated Lucid Dreaming), where the "P", for phantom, is appropriately and paranomasially silent. But the extra "S" of his insignia draws attention and curiosity. I don't see any originality and he should mention his sources and influences. He failed to do that from the getgo.

Plus he's an obnoxious, narcissistic, and megalomaniacal character. If he's had a different approach when I'd first addressed this to him, I might have even believed him. But he didn't.
bluremi
PHASER
PHASER

Post by bluremi »

It seems there is are some very important differences between the two cycling methods.

Raduga's Indirect Method
- Do immediately after awakening, no movement if possible
- Do cycles rapidly, 3-5 seconds each
- Do them aggressively with full concentration until finished
- Cycles should lead to separation, which requires effort and recognizing that you are in the phase

SILD
- Doesn't need to be done immediately after awakening, movement is okay
- Cycles done lazily, between 20-60 seconds each
- Don't do them aggressively, don't concentrate, okay for mind to wander and lose track
- No separation should be attempted, instead go back to sleep. The expectation is that you will "awaken" inside of a dream later.

I think the differences I've outlined above describe two very different techniques, with an entirely different underlying strategy. The only thing they have in common seems to be that they encourage repetitive cycling, but the manner and intention behind the cycles are different.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

He has made a few alterations since the original which only leads a practitioner to shun the shortcut and take the long way. More fiddle-faddle with the techniques that Raduga would urge us to avoid upon awakening if we can help it. The phase is the phase, for goodness sake!

What Iron does now is delay the manifestation of what practitioners aim for with pretty much a hybrid combination of the following: direct, deferred, a nonchalant incorporation of FFA, and perhaps the sensorimotor visualisation technique. Is it not? Like I said, what The Phase guidebook propounds, which provides guidelines that can be performed according to what works best for each individual. What Iron promotes is nothing but an idiosyncratic way of doing things (probably what works best for him).

The expectation that he may awaken inside a dream later is something that can happen during the free-floating state of mind - commonly associated with the direct method. It's not so much something to be specifically sought - you can just as well separate from the body stencil if funny things are happening while you are lying down. Why not?

Do you disagree? Do I have a point or am I missing the point completely?
bluremi
PHASER
PHASER

Post by bluremi »

So are you angry that he directly plagiarized Raduga or are you angry that his method is different from Raduga's method?
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

I'm not angry. I just think he's fake and he hasn't brought anything new to the table. I also think he should have mentioned Raduga right from the getgo. He didn't. He only mentioned Raduga recently when people made associations. To me that reeks of untrustworthiness. And I like to expose people! LOL
jarekf
PHASER
PHASER

Post by jarekf »

I don't think he plagiarized Raduga. He used the word "phase", that is all. When I read his post for the first time and found the "phase" in it, my reaction was similar to yours. But I got over it much sooner than you :-).

There is one more difference (to what bluremi listed) which I found very interesting. Each SSILD cycle is directed to a different sense. First is vision, then hearing and then touch. Raduga never said anything like that (AFAIK), he simply recommended to do what works for you. I tried SSILD a few times, it put me asleep so quickly I couldn't believe it (I didn't end up in a phase though, so I don't claim it is better or more effective). I think I want to experiment with it more, but instead of falling asleep try to separate.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

But don't we also focus on senses when we cycle through techniques? By the way, he didn't just use the word "phase" and that isn't even the point. The cycling is also there. I just think his mention of Raduga is rather retarded. Plus, he does claim to be the author. To me, he is guilty as sin and I will not change my opinion of him. So to correct you there when you said, "I got over it much sooner than you," it is more appropriate to say: "I gave up doubting, unlike you so far."

Don't assume everyone will tread the same path as you.
jarekf
PHASER
PHASER

Post by jarekf »

OK, so it was "phase" and "cycling". But most of his method is significantly different. And in my opinion it adds a good value for people who research lucid dreaming. That is why I defend him here - because I found there something useful and unique. And most of his description is unique. And it all freely given. He doesn't charge, he doesn't even use a real name to become famous. Your reaction seems to be too strong, but that is just my opinion.

I had a much stronger impression about plagiarism on other well known, commercial web site, which in my opinion copied the idea of "separation" just after wake up (in my opinion one of the best idea here). But they didn't copied any words like "phase" so we can't prove anything.

"But don't we also focus on senses when we cycle through techniques"

Yes, but nobody here suggested, that we should cycle through all DIFFERENT senses (vision, hearing, touch), not just one or two. I don't know for sure if that is the key, but it might be. Maybe I will create a new "original" method and add smell and taste :-).
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

His sobriquet could be an online cover for what he might do offline. He could be teaching and charging. Who knows what he has said in Chinese, too! Raduga also gives it away for free and yet he still charges for those who want hard copies. Furthermore, cycling through the three techniques is a recommendation, not a must. In fact, if you review The Phase guide, you will see that if a technique starts working you should stick to it. Perhaps if you really pay attention to what Raduga has already propounded you will reach the phase even more effectively. By the way, smell and taste are already highlighted as option for techniques in Raduga's guide. Cosmic Iron merely propounds his own way of employing Raduga's methods. And what he describes now has evolved from the exact Raduga-guide clone that was his original version of SILD.
TheOnerous
PHASER
PHASER

Post by TheOnerous »

Just out of interest Summerlander, what course of action would you prefer cosmic.iron to have taken?
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

To have mentioned Raduga from the very beginning.