Re: Television and Video Games: Do These Significantly Affect Phase Entry?

General questions? Ask our experienced practitioners here

Does Watching TV or Playing Video Games Before Bed Hamper Phase Entry?

Poll runs till Mon Aug 31, 2054 2:26 pm

Strongly Agree
No votes
Agree
50%
Not Sure
25%
Disagree
No votes
Strongly Disagree
25%

Total votes: 4
Th3TruthizInThere
PHASER
PHASER

Television and Video Games: Do These Significantly Affect Phase Entry?

Post by Th3TruthizInThere »

I recently watched a Nicholas Newport video from Lucidology.com. In it, he cautions against watching TV more than an hour before bedtime. He said that it causes some kind of brain wave frequency that is not optimal for phase entry and lucid dreams. I have tried to find more about this topic online, but have not been able to zero in on this particular concern.

I'm posing this question after a somewhat frustrating weekend where on more than one occasion I recognized my ability to significantly control the direction of my dreams in a sexual capacity- but THAT recognition never once brought me to full lucidity and a recall of my plan of action. I have been watching movies and playing a lot of Grand Theft Auto: Vice City this past week, and my dreams have seemed very much like I was on the outside looking in—as a spectator—despite my intentions and desire to enter the phase via LD or Deferred Indirect Techniques.

In the experience of those in this forum, does TV watching and Video Games before bedtime affect phase entry in any significant way?  All comments welcome!  ;)
Last edited by Th3TruthizInThere on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harmless as Doves... Wise as Serpents!
APVirgin
PHASER
PHASER

Re: Television and Video Games: Does It Significantly Affect Phase Entry?

Post by APVirgin »

Not sure, but I have had quite a few experiences lately and I've been doing a lot of gaming with my son.  Not right before bed, admittedly.  I'm sure I once saw an article where it said gaming might increase lucid dreaming.
Anthony Pucci
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Anthony Pucci »

I'd believe it. That's pretty much all I do all day, and I can't separate to save my life.
12padams
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 12padams »

In the experience of those in this forum, does TV watching and Video Games before bedtime affect phase entry in any significant way?
Yes your body uses the sun to slowly shut down over time as the sun sets. Your body has serotonin produced by the sun and in darkness the serotonin gets turned into melatonin to help you sleep. If you are infront of a computer screen your body will not produce melatonin from your serotonin since you are still exposed to light. In other words sleeping is more difficult after using a computer.
I'm sure I once saw an article where it said gaming might increase lucid dreaming.
Yes, gamers have a higher chance of seemingly controlling their dreams however this is just simulated lucidity rather than actually being conscious. Trust me... if you know my "Entering The Phase" book you know about simulated lucidity (tables at back comparing simulated and real phases) and how the current definition of lucid dreaming makes me furious! Overall gamers seem to "fight" during a nightmare rather than run away which makes them not "lucid" but more dominate over their dream making people believe they are conscious/lucid.
I'd believe it. That's pretty much all I do all day, and I can't separate to save my life.
Yes, the more computer/screen time the more difficult sleeping will be. Overall its best to avoid screens as much as possible!
Last edited by 12padams on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Can't experience the phase?

Check out my free ebooks and video recreations of actual phase experiences.

Watch/Read Here: http://obe4u.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2
APVirgin
PHASER
PHASER

Post by APVirgin »

12padams wrote: Yes, the more computer/screen time the more difficult sleeping will be. Overall its best to avoid screens as much as possible!
Hi 12PAdams,

I'm not sure I agree with the above statement, just from personal experience.  I am a Systems Engineer and spend pretty much all of my day and a significant part of my evening in front of a computer screen.

It has not prevented me from entering the phase.  Although, I am in the early stages of practice and cannot state if it has affected the frequency of entries into the phase.  To be honest I put that down to lack of practice/effort on my behalf.
12padams
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by 12padams »

I'm not sure I agree with the above statement, just from personal experience.  I am a Systems Engineer and spend pretty much all of my day and a significant part of my evening in front of a computer screen.
Affect your ability to enter the phase? No I didn't say that. I said it affects your ability to get to sleep and I know that from experience because ever since I got RSI it has been easier to sleep since I haven't been at a computer all day (I used to spend every waking second on a computer).

Some say computer screens increase your chances of phase entry due to more serotonin/awareness however I don't believe this so much because it stuffs up your sleep cycle (it effects you less as you get older however but during teen years it's a sleep killer).
Last edited by 12padams on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[center]Can't experience the phase?

Check out my free ebooks and video recreations of actual phase experiences.

Watch/Read Here: http://obe4u.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=2
APVirgin
PHASER
PHASER

Post by APVirgin »

Fair enough, I suppose we are all different.  I have never had a problem sleeping.  In fact, ask my wife, she'll tell you how much I love sleep.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

Video games can help you to enter the phase.  Nick Port spouts bollocks half the time.
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
Anthony Pucci
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Anthony Pucci »

Summerlander wrote: Video games can help you to enter the phase.  Nick Port spouts bollocks half the time.
I wish this was true for me. I game all day, and I've only had one "major" phase experience.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

Maybe not true for you but they can help.  There are also other elements you have to consider - like schedules, lifestyle, mood, confidence, and the correct performance of techniques.  Are you sure you are doing everything the right way and with the right attitude?  Sometimes revising SOBT helps.  It certainly helps me.
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.