Gestalt therapy

Describe your experiences. One practicioner - one topic!
Tony

Gestalt therapy

Post by Tony »

Gestalt therapy is an existential/experiential form of psychotherapy that emphasizes personal responsibility, and that focuses upon the individual's experience in the present moment, the therapist–client relationship, the environmental and social contexts of a person's life, and the self-regulating adjustments people make as a result of their overall situation.

Gestalt therapy was developed by Fritz Perls, Laura Perls and Paul Goodman in the 1940s and 1950s.

...The objective of Gestalt therapy is to enable the client to become more fully and creatively alive and to become free from the blocks and unfinished business that may diminish satisfaction, fulfillment, and growth, and to experiment with new ways of being.

Gestalt therapy includes perception and the meaning-making processes by which experience forms, it can also be considered a cognitive approach. Because Gestalt therapy relies on the contact between therapist and client, and because a relationship can be considered to be contact over time, Gestalt therapy can be considered a relational or interpersonal approach.-- wikipedia-

The Phase can be viewed as a Gestalt therapy. One may argue that in Phase experience the therapist would not exist. On the contrary the therapist is the own experiencer. Any type of therapy in which the patient may have a change to dramatize his inner conflicts approaches to Gestalt. My own experiences coach me into the knowledge of myself. Isn't that great?

Unlike a stubborn proselitist participant i am only interested person into the Phase phenomena as any other psychological phenomena. Things that occur to you. That has to do to your psyche. My take on this is that whatever form of psychotherapy may be good as long as the patient has the chance to get a hold of his own emotional life. Anything that helps the individual master his own emotions. Acting out your conflicts in a drama having an oniric scenery set up for you. It is all it takes to have more control over yourself in your daily life. Your hidden life in the backstage. Perhaps many a times we tend to belittle the importance of this psi-drama. Although no one can deny that the dramatic arts, music and any other vehicle conveying emotion has the power to help man deal with his inner conflicts.

This is the cognitive approach prescribed by Gestal therapy. Once again always remember that knowing yourself is mandatory. And you need not depend upon medical treatment, unless you really need it. You have a cheap means available. Be your own psychotherapist. Practice THE PHASE THERAPY!