Ideas on waking up and separating

Share and discuss indirect techniques, direct techniques, becoming conscious while dreaming, non-autonomous methods
TheOnerous
PHASER
PHASER

Ideas on waking up and separating

Post by TheOnerous »

My main obstacle to achieving consistent success with indirect techniques was catching myself waking. This was how I was thinking about the problem before (reflected in an affirmation):

I'll realise I'm waking, keep still and try to separate.

But I got to thinking that this doesn't reflect what actually happens in the "transition" from sleep to awake. It's more like the opposite actually happens: I'm "awake" in a dream (doing dreamy stuff like playing football with The Beatles etc) and then I transition into a sleepy, grouchy, confused state as a I slowly surface into the waking world.

So I thought I would change my approach into an approach that reflects this state of affairs and it's had some good results this week, with one lucid dream and a dramatic improvement in recall. My new mentality is "spot sleepy", where I spot the point where the waking transition reaches the point where I'm very sleepy but vaguely aware. Affirmation along the lines of:

I'll realise I'm sleepy, play dead and try to separate.

I'm also working on the idea that something else occurs with the sleepiness that will help me catch my wakings. So far I'm considering:

Grouchiness
Confusion
Having a dream memory
Becoming horizontal (after being vertical in the dream)
Becoming motionless after moving about
Becoming inactive after being active.
Becoming "blind" after seeing (in the dream)
Having closed eyes after having them open
NOVA
PHASER
PHASER

Re: Ideas on waking up and separating

Post by NOVA »

Just do what Michael suggests in the SOBT
TheOnerous
PHASER
PHASER

Re: Ideas on waking up and separating

Post by TheOnerous »

As I have explained elsewhere, I have done that to the letter in the past and it did not produce results. Even if I use MR's techniques and they produced regular successes I will still keep experimenting and trying to improve my approaches.