Re: Black Stuff Over Eyes

Deepening, maintaining, primary skills, translocation and finding objects
Jeff
PHASER
PHASER

Black Stuff Over Eyes

Post by Jeff »

Anyone else experience this? A layer of black stuff over the phase eyes sometimes in OBEs ?  ???

Over the years I have dealt with this curiosity by peeling it down or prying my phase eyes open with my phase hands. I've always thought that this is one of the more bizarre things that can happen.Does anyone else have creative ways of dealing with it or pet theories about what it is?
"The closer you get to the meaning;the sooner you'll know that you're dreaming" -Dio
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

My theory on blurry vision or darkness after a separation from the body is that it is a psychological phenomenon stemming from our expectation to find our peepers glued shut by eye crust or sight impaired by the gooey (yuck) boogers.  It may even be a manifestation of the initial doubt we may have regarding what state of mind we are in.

To tackle this, I don't bother rubbing my eyes or trying to open them.  The truth is that, even though we may feel them with our hands, we have no eyes in the phase.  I may start by palpating objects in the darkness, or, better yet, I start rubbing my hands together and try to see them.  This usually brings them into view along with the rest of the environment.  Rubbing them and blowing on 'em at the same time is highly effective in my case.  I feel the warm air flowing from my mouth, hear it hissing, feel it on my moving hands and visualise it as a magical stream that can potentially paint a new reality for me.
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
Jeff
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Jeff »

To be clear I mean a filmy stuff that creeps over the phase eyes and can show up unexpectedly;not the more common 3D blackness,the void or initial separation blindness.  These can all be dealt with as you say SL.I do the same things you mention too.(just this morning in fact)I never sweat it when I can't see right away,I know that vision will come when I deepen and maintain.

What I'm talking about is slightly different.It can happen after deepening and it is like an encroachment of some 'stuff' that creeps up or down into my eyes.If I don't peel it off it's really hard to get rid of.It doesn't happen alot but it is weird  ??? A similar thing can also occur which is as if something has been put over my phase head like a sack,a hood or something...An example:

This happened in one of my first Lucid Dreams several years ago.A giant was smashing through the roof of my parent's house and I was running away when I realized that I was dreaming.I remembered something I had read about changing the dream body's shape in confrontations and so I willed myself to grow taller than this giant as I stepped outside,lucidly,to face it.(It was a spontaneous plan of action in response to dream content.I still sometimes follow dream content deliberately to prolong the phase based on LeBerge's advice to be like a 'poker player with a winning hand.') He was nowhere to be found by this time.Then suddenly my vision became as if a brown burlap sack had been placed over my head.I could still see the backyard and light through it's threads,however.I pulled it off instinctively as one would normally do in such a situation.

After this my vision was crystal clear.I floated up to roof top level and took in a panorama of the sunlit neighborhood. (a mistake that would soon bring on a foul )  I couldn't believe the detail,the houses the sky,the clouds,the sense of distance.There were things out of place like distant water towers and the roofing material was rock not shingles. A jet plane was flying across in the distance,sunlight flickered from it as it would in waking perception.I decided to fly to it and see up close as I wondered if dream passengers were inside but I fouled from not maintaining.
"The closer you get to the meaning;the sooner you'll know that you're dreaming" -Dio
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

Brilliant phase experience. 8)

The "brown burlap sack" vision is strange.  Perhaps it came about by a subconscious association made from the dream content that was experienced previously.  It could even be that it is not related to that dream but previous dreams instead and it has the potential to repeat itself the more you think about it.

Have you read Stephen LaBerge's Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming?  It is a useful book.  I particularly liked the section where he talks about "schemas".  What do you think about the idea?  Could this "black stuff" phenomenon have something to do with that?

Something just came to mind...

The giant had smashed through the roof of the house.  This could convey the idea of debris and dust in your mind.  The impaired vision could have been a delayed reaction from the chaos that you perceived.  You might not have been aware of it, but preconsciously, perhaps the thought of "dust in my eyes" came to life as soon as the giant smashed through that roof.
THE PHASE = waking consciousness during sleep hybridisation at 40Hz of brainwave activity conducive to lucid dreaming and autoscopy.
Jeff
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Jeff »

Yeah,I loved Steven Leberge's ETWOLD ,it was the first book that I was able to get real solid results from-and I had read most of them by then. (around '04) I think there is definitely something to his 'schemas' and I suppose it's possible that debris or sand in this particular phase could have been part of a schema.But who knows for sure ? What ever the case,I'm convinced that what ever binds these associations and presents them as content can be considered intelligent,creative and intentional.

After reading your post I remembered that most of these episodes occurred while my glaucoma was still undiagnosed.Since learning of it and controlling it with medication (not weed  ;D) this sight blocking thing happens much less. I wonder.... I did not suffer vision loss but could it have been,or still be a warning?
Last edited by Jeff on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

After reading your post I remembered that most of these episodes occurred while my glaucoma was still undiagnosed.Since learning of it and controlling it with medication (not weed  ) this sight blocking thing happens much less. I wonder....
It must have been in the back of your mind.  Talk about seeing what's on your mind... ;D
Jeff
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Jeff »

Right. A warning from the subliminal? I think it's possible too...
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

What would the warning entail?
Jeff
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Jeff »

People do report warnings from dreams or interpretations of dreams.I've,personally,had a few things come true in waking life from dreams and phases,so a 'warning' interpretation is something that I'm open minded to. I'm not saying this is the case,I don't really know.If it was a 'warning' it was a really ambiguous one...If it had any effect on my decision to get an eye exam it would have been subliminal one....

In this instance,I suppose it would entail a general feeling of concern about my vision because this is what I did feel afterwards,albeit it was a concern for my phase vision and not my waking vision.There was/is a real uneasiness about not being able to see,in general,when I desire to.

If there is a constraint on what the subliminal can convey to the egoic-surface mind,say that it must use symbolism and not direct language,then it's even possible that the surface mind could often miss warnings or messages from the deeper psyche.What I'm saying is plausible even in the 'all in the brain' belief about the phase.

Excluding issues over mental vs physical properties and intentionality:The retina is a part of the nervous system and information about it's looming degeneration would be present at it's level.This information could be received by other non linguistic areas,say in the right brain,which could later become incorporated into phase content.(how ever that might happen)This information could be shared with other areas and even register as just a 'gut feeling' at the ego level. An uneasiness about not being able to see when desiring to.

Say,the organism's strategy here is to attempt to draw executive level attention,through dream content, to it's visual system's changes at an early stage of a disease process.

......who knows,I'm just pulling shit outta my ass for fun.It could be though... :-\
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Post by Summerlander »

It's plausible that such altered states of consciousness provide a little extra in contribution to the preservation of our organism.  We can certainly make contact with unconscious aspects of our mind via the phase state.  However things may be, at least we can use what dreams and the phase sometimes allow to our advantage.  The phase is certainly very practical in many aspects.
astralnewbie20

Post by astralnewbie20 »

I apologize for not having the info here now but yes i have read about people having "stuff" over their eyes or even entire face when entering the phase.
I believe it is because our subconscious is so tuned into the physical body that when our subconscious is "out" of it, your mind creates an ectoplasm effect over your astral face or eyes. In the book I read that you can use your astral hands or fingers to peel away this stuff..also that the more you phase, the layers become thinner and vision becomes more prominent. But i believe this is your subconscious mind creating the problem with duality where your physical eyes are closed while you are attempting to "see" while outside of your physical body. But yeah this phenomenon has been mentioned in AP books before.
I believe it is an older book that i read with the author having different experiences and mentions this layer of "stuff" over his eyes that prevented him from seeing in the astral, initially.
Summerlander
PHASER
PHASER

Re: Re: Black Stuff Over Eyes

Post by Summerlander »

You can also just wish for the layer to disappear and it does. No need to peel it off or rub your eyes. Often, rubbing your eyes does not work.